Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Phi Theta Kappa’s tour de force…

Weekends are usually the time in which every normal person decides to take some time off, do some homework and relax in order to be ready to face a whole new week. Right? Well, this doesn’t apply to me or any other student who decides to become too involved in extracurricular activities. I don’t have much time to honor the Italian lifestyle characterized by the “dolce far niente”, or in English “pleasantly doing nothing” (if it makes sense—> just watch Eat, Prey and Love and It will explained to you when Julia Roberts arrives in Rome). Anyways, let’s talk about this super busy Saturday!!

Let's start with a warmup
First of all alarm at 7.00am! No sleeping in anymore during weekends… Amber, my friend and Phi Theta Kappa vice-president, picked me up to head to Goleta beach for the Walk against Breast Cancer. Quick breakfast at Starbucks and then ready to stretch with the Phi Theta Kappa Leadership and a great amount of other people who decided to join this noble cause! The walk was really enjoyable and event if it started so early it was totally worth going!! Everybody was smiling and wearing pink clothes!! Let’s FIGHT great cancer!!

Super Cool PTK Leaders!
I wish that after the walk I could have gone home and go back to sleep but.. we drove back to Santa Barbara to volunteer for Habitat for Humanities!! For who doesn't know what Habitat for Humanities is, I will link here their webpage and you should check it out!! This non-profit organization’s project is really worth supporting and I encourage you to join them

Hard-Working Elisa :)
in their efforts to make our community a better place for everybody! In fact, Habitat for Humanities focuses on helping lower class citizens to “build or improve a place they can call home” through the formidable help of a great number of volunteers. This weekend the PTK Leadership signed up to volunteer in helping the construction and painting of a veteran’s house. It was hard but at least I felt so helpful and satisfied when we left the house beautiful repainted!


Phi Theta Kappa is taking up a lot of my time and I couldn’t be more happy about it! Being a part of the Leadership is helping me a lot in improving my professional, organizational and working skills and it is also helping me in networking with great and valuable people on campus. I can’t wait to tell you more about the upcoming initiatives and events!! In particular, this week we will have the Democratic Forum on Tuesday, the Third Presidential Debate Watch Party on Wednesday, the Movie Night on Thursday and finally on Sunday we will participate to a really important dinner hosting the noble Noam Chomsky!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment