Sunday, September 18, 2016

Phi Theta Kappa cares it’s Day Of Caring!

This week can be described with one word: AMAZING! So many things happened but the most crazy and rewarding one was to get accepted to be a part of the Phi Theta Kappa Leadership!!  For who doesn’t know it yet, Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) is the international honors society of community colleges and

I tried to be fancy but it is
always so hard..
their goal is to promote academic excellence through providing opportunities for the development of their four Hallmarks: Leadership, Scholarship, Fellowship and Service. In order to become a member of the PTK Leadership it’s necessary to fill out an application and be interviewed by the current PTK Leadership and the three professors in charge of leading the society. Since the society is highly ranked it is necessary to show up at the interviewwith a BUSINESS ATTIRE… Well.. Since I am the most casual person in the whole world I obviously had nothing adequate to wear!!! Luckily my friend Shivani (the classiest person in the whole world) decided to give me a hand and help me with the Business Attire Shopping! And in the picture you can see the result.. I felt so weird… 



The same night of the day of the interview I received this freaking awesome email:

Yes, next to Historian there is my name!!!
Yaaaaaaaaayyyy! I got accepted for the position I desired so hard!!! Since I am a film production major, being the Historian for PTK it’s perfect because it will allow me to experiment with managing social networks, create short videos and take awesome pictures of the events we will organize! I am so excited to be a part of this!  

The first PTK event happened right this Saturday, and it consisted in having the whole leadership to volunteer for Day Of Caring! This event is a specific day in Santa Barbara were numerous people decide to give back to the community through applying to different volunteer positions. For me it was a “double event” since I was there not only as a PTK member but also as an SBCC Ambassador. 

Ambassadors + PTK = Top
Here the funniest "hacked"
conversation
As soon as the day started everything seemed to take a weird turn. First of all, I woke up super-duper tired and checked my phone finding out that someone was responding to my Facebook texts with another device. OMG!! Someone hacking my phone?!? My heart started beating and my first reaction was to call my friend Mimmi who was supposed to pick me up for the Day Of Caring breakfast. As soon as the phone started ringing I realized that the day before I logged in on Facebook with my friend’s phone, and he (more confused than I was) was texting back Mimmi asking why would she have to pick him up. HILARIOUS. After this, another series of funny things happened: a bird pooping on Nina’s head, Mimmi slipping on some water before entering the breakfast place, Linh spilling coffee allover the place… Well, the day didn’t seem to be a very lucky one.. 

Ladies and Gentlemen,
the Fall 2016 PTK Leadership
However, after we all had breakfast everything turned back to normal and we were ready to go to volunteeeeeeeeeerrr!! Most of the Ambassadors went to the beach for the coastal cleanse, instead I went with my new PTK buddies to pull up some weeds from the SBCC gardens. It was super hot and I was so tired but we all made it through and had an awesome day. Teamwork is always so rewarding especially when everybody is awesome and cares about Day Of Caring!




                                     Working hard! 

No comments:

Post a Comment