Saturday, November 12, 2016

CHANGE (with an exclamation mark)

Every year, the Honors Program decides a new topic for the honors classes offered and for the Honors Conference which takes place at the end of each spring semester. In particular, the honors topic of the school year 2016-17 is CHANGE! and I believe that with what has lately happened the topic chosen is the perfect one. In fact, after the election results I am foreshadowing great CHANGE to come!!!

The first big event of the Honors Program happened right this Monday and it was called Prof-Off. The event consisted in a discussion about change with Doctor Manoutchehr Eskandari-Qajar, Professor Mark Sanders, and Professor William Dinklage moderated by Professor Melanie Eckford-Prossor. The professors loved expressing their opinion on different topics concerning change and the student audience was really engaged and interested in the discussion. I really loved taking pictures of the event for Phi Theta Kappa, and I really enjoyed the conversation!


Sad and scared
about the outcome..
The day after the Prof-Off it was the fateful presidential election day… My friends and I were super interested in getting to know the outcome, and we decided to meet at a bar to follow the progress of the election night. We were almost sure that Hillary Clinton would be the without any doubt the new president elect, but we were TOTALLY wrong!! I’m glad I didn’t bet any money on the outcome of the election because since the beginning Donald Trump was winning… Well, our hope were up and we watched the election night till 2.00am in order to understand what kind of future we would have had to expect. Now Donald Trump is the American President Elect. As an international student, will I be able to remain in this country? Will I be able to start a career and become successful as the American Dream has promised? I have no answer to this questions right now… I just hope that love will triumph over hate, acceptance over discrimination, and unity over separation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment