Saturday, December 3, 2016

My Phi Theta Kappa YOGA EVENT!!!

Finals are approaching, and stress is spreading allover the place. Everybody needs a break during these overwhelming days, and this Thursday December 1st, 2016, from 4 to 5 the best distressful occasion came up: Free Yoga with Professor Brett Land!!! In Phi Theta Kappa every leader is required to organize an event whether for the community or for the SBCC campus. This event was the one that I myself organized in order to benefit the student community at Santa Barbara City College. 

Awesome, nothing else to add.
The process of organizing an event is not only time consuming, but it also requires a lot of commitment an effort. Before being in charge of organizing this Yoga class for the SBCC students, I attended other people’s event without realizing how many things must be taken care of to have a successful. I’ll briefly go over what I had to do in order to make this Yoga event possible. First, I had to ask to English professor Brett Land if we would be interested in teaching  a yoga class for free, and fortunately he immediately accepted and gave me a preferred day and time for the distress event. Second, I had to proceed and reserve the West Campus lawn, and to do so I had submit a signed paper to some important people that are responsible of managing all the event on the SBCC campus. Third, I had to order some fruit, snacks and water from the cafeteria and luckily the great Marc Sullivan made a wonderful donation for our event, gifting us with two plates of fruit, 5 boxes of healthy protein bars, and two boxes of water. Then, I had to go literally ALLOVER campus in order to get someone to let me borrow some yoga mats for the event. After a day of email exchange with a number of different people and running from office to office, the Physical Education department let me borrow 12 extra mats for the day of the event. After all this organizational part, I had to move onto marketing the event, and I created poster and fliers to spread allover campus along with a Facebook event, a campus wide email and a poster for Pipeline. …Well, lots are the things to consider but it was all totally worth it!!!



On the day of the event, with the help of some of the PTK members, I set up all the necessary for the event and anxiously waited for how it would turn out. Well, the turnout was simply AMAZING!!!!!!!!  40 people showed up and the class was relaxing, recharging and super fun!!! I would have never imagined I would be able to organize such a wonderful event. I am looking forward to create something like this again for next semester!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment