Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Today was Club Day!!! (Or Public Relations 101)

Phi Theta Kappa!!
One day a semester is dedicated to all the clubs that are active on the SBCC Campus, and that day is called Club Day!!! On Club Day, every possible club, that wants to grow bigger and find new member, sets a table right outside the East Campus Cafeteria and tries to make the table as appealing as possible to attract the most number of people. It is interesting how Club Day becomes “the day in which if you are not good at public relations and if your table doesn’t look appealing, your club will never have a future”. I know, what I just said sounds really sad and disappointing but it is actually true! Club day is the first step to understand marketing strategies and how to build new connections and relationships.

2020 AYWW Table!
On Club Day, I was tabling for both 2020 A Year Without War and for Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society. For both clubs I had to be able to give a concise (but at the same time really appealing) description of who we are and what we do. From there, if the people who initially asked a question were showing interest, I had to persuade them that our club was the one that would perfectly satisfy their needs and would have been the right one to support. That was the hard part… if you can start a conversation with the person approaching you, it is all good… But as soon as they say “mmh, ok…” and leave looking at you weird, you can tell that there is no way that the person will join the club.


Fortunately, I can say that by now I have learned how to sell my clubs and I can convince most people to whether buy some merchandise to join the club. But at the beginning… Oh god!!! Every time someone would approach the table I wanted to run away or dig a hole and disappear!! I found it so hard to say something meaningful in such a short amount of time… But hey! It’s all practice! If you create your club, start practicing your public speaking skills!!

No comments:

Post a Comment