Sunday, October 2, 2016

Smart is healthy!

In my previous posts I have mentioned that I am now one of the PODS mentors for the Honors Program, but I haven’t had the chance to tell you all about it yet! Just read a couple more sentences and you’ll have a pretty good overview of what the PODS program is and why it is so important!! 

This semester, for the first time the Honors Program had the chance to start an initiative called PODS. Many of you will now be wondering “what the heck does that word mean?”. Well, unluckily the letters don't stand for an acronym… However, there is a specific reason why it has this name. The Honors Program PODS assign to “mentors”, people who have been in the honors program for at least a year, around five new honors members in order to let them transition smoothly into the program, and make sure they don’t drop the program after a semester without having the chance to receive a Honors Certificate. The noble Melanie Ekford-Prossor came up with the name pod because she thought that our small groups resembled the whales pods… Isn’t it such an awesome idea??

Cool people.. :)
At the beginning of the year I was really stressed about how it would have all worked out, and I was always wondering if I would have been a good mentor for new students. What should have I talked to them about? Which activities should I have organized? Well, all these questions were answered as soon as I started meeting up with my five awesome pods members. We have immediately clicked, and it is just so satisfactory when I can answer their question and giving them advice! Besides, it is even better when you join two pods together for some fun activities!!


Yes... This are the breathtaking
 East Campus stairs
This Friday, my friend Shivani’s pod and mine went to a great hike called Inspiration Point. During the hike, we had the chance to talk not only about school but also about who we are outside the academic environment. I just loooove sharing stories, interests and hobbies with new people!! It was really sunny and hot, and the hike was so steep… I need to do more “East Campus stairs” so that next time I’ll be sure to be fit enough… At least, when we got to the top we were all so happy, and the view was simply amazing!!! Please, let’s do it again soon!! Or maybe should we do rock climbing next time? Or kayaking? I’ll keep you posted!!

No comments:

Post a Comment