Saturday, April 15, 2017

And The LAST Times Start To Get Real

We are so cute
My first semester at SBCC was all about first times: first semester, first house, first friends, first memories, first professors, first experiences and I could keep going forever… But now, well.. Now, it is a whole different story!! Everything is starting to be preceded by this melancholic word: LAST… Who would have though that my LAST semester in the #1 Community College in the nation would have come so quickly…This week, we also had our LAST bloggers meeting and my beloved pesto pizza joined us… But, you know, talking about LAST times is really sad.. let me tell you something that happened recently that ties in with first and last times.

In my English 111 class, Professor Brett Land assigned a really cool assignment to the class: go outside on the SBCC campus, find a meaningful spot to us, and free write for 10 minutes without letting the pen stop it’s flow. On the blank piece of paper we had to write about anything that this spot would evoke in our mind and heart. Well.. I knew exactly where to go and this is what came out:

“The first time I came to visit Santa Barbara City College it was because I got lost, and I sat here, on the edge of this fountain, looking at the green grass and the ocean. I came here running from a surfing class with still my bikini on. Over it, shorts and tints that were sticking to my swim suit, and my hear smelled like ocean. I looked back at the fountain, and noticed in the distance a group of people following a person with a red t-shirt and the white SBCC logo on it. I didn't know yet that everything I was observing with so much care one year later would have become so familiar. The sun was shining and it was spring break for the SBCC students, but the tours of the campus still attracted many people. I quietly joined the group of visitors and listened carefully to the tour guide. Her words still resound in my head: “SBCC is the #1 community college in the nation” she was saying. Now, I am here, and two years have gone by. Everything is still gorgeous and shining. But, it is also home, family and friends now. Leaving this view behind me will be heart breaking but I will always be here.”


It is not perfect writing or grammar but it is what my heard poured genuinely on the sheet of paper I was writing on. I didn’t have to think about it too much because the emotions that the experiences at this college brought me are heavily stamped into my heart… I ❤️ SBCC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment