Thursday, April 27, 2017

Free Yoga With Professor Brett Land pt. 2!

This semester I decided to organize another “Free Yoga With Professor Brett Land” event for my Phis Theta Kappa project, and I really hope that this event will become a tradition for PTK at SBCC!! This time I already knew who to contact for making this event possible and the organization of the event was pretty easy… Well, easy is a word that should be erased from any dictionary because nothing is easy! Keep on reading and I’ll explain to you what happened.

In order to host an event at SBCC on the West Campus Lawn it is necessary to fill out a form that is found in the Special Events office of SBCC. Like last year, I filled out the form, had the advisors sign it and I submitted it, convinced that the event would been approved without any problem. Just three days before the event’s date, I received an email that prevented the event from happening if Professor Brett Land didn’t have an insurance that listed SBCC as one of the studios where he taught yoga. Obviously, Professor Land teaches just english at SBCC and the insurance is just for the studio he works for.. Well… after numerous complications we had to cancel the event……..


However, on Wednesday during our weekly PTK meeting, the advisors proposed a solution. We moved the event off campus at Leadbetter Beach and we finally got to keep the event!!! Unfortunately, many people didn't come because they didn’t see anybody on the West Campus lawn.. But in the end about 15 people came and we had a wonderful private yoga class with the amazing Brett Land!! I am so glad that we didn't give up and fought for having this event. Oh and by the way, this is MY last event for PTK ever!!! Yes… My community college honors society experience has reached its end…

No comments:

Post a Comment